If you are a victim of medical malpractice because a doctor misdiagnosed your condition, you should discuss the matter – and your rights and legal options – with an experienced Fresno medical malpractice attorney. One doctor accused of malpractice in the Netherlands recently offered a rather shocking – yet somehow ironic – defense.

Doctor Ernst Jansen Steur, with a medical practice in The Hague, misdiagnosed several patients and told them that they had diseases like Alzheimer’s and multiple sclerosis. It’s one of the biggest malpractice prosecutions in Dutch history. Steur also practiced in neighboring Germany, so two nations have been following the story closely. The prominent neurologist was convicted last year of harming the mental and physical health of eight patients by treating them for diseases they did not suffer. One woman committed suicide after receiving a misdiagnosis from Steur, believing that she was in the final phase of a terminal illness. Steur also prescribed wrong medications that caused serious side effects.

In 2014, Steur was sentenced to three years in prison. He is appealing his conviction. In May, Steur’s attorney said that his client has brain damage that could have affected his actions. The lawyer said a car crash 25 years ago left the neurologist with brain damage that has only recently been diagnosed. If you’re a victim of malpractice here in California, it’s not likely that your doctor will claim brain damage. Insurance companies routinely pay malpractice claims in the United States, and many doctors consider malpractice insurance to be just another cost of doing business.

Still, if you’ve been victimized, an insurance company will fight hard to keep from paying you what your claim is worth, so you’ll need the help of an experienced malpractice lawyer who will fight just as hard or harder on your behalf. If you’ve been misdiagnosed, prescribed the wrong medicine, or if you’ve suffered from any other medical malpractice, put your case in the hands of an experienced Fresno medical malpractice attorney immediately.