If you’re injured in central California in a traffic accident with a driver who was driving recklessly or negligently, you have the right to be compensated for any injuries you suffer. Of course, that compensation doesn’t just arrive at your door; you’ll have to fight for it, and you’ll need the help of an experienced Fresno car accident lawyer. In February, KSBY News Channel Six in San Luis Obispo reported on the California Highway Patrol’s most recently-released list of the top five reasons for traffic collisions in California. According to the CHP, the top five causes of crashes in the state are:
- Distracted Driving: Distracted driving is the number one reason behind California traffic accidents. From texting-while-driving to handling pets and children, distractions are everywhere for drivers, and if you’re injured by a distracted driver, you can probably file a personal injury claim.
- Speeding: Speeding is the second leading cause of accidents on California’s streets and highways. The faster you drive, the more dangerous driving becomes.
- Aggressive Driving: Cutting off other drivers. tailgating, and abruptly changing lanes is not smart driving; it’s aggressive driving, it’s often illegal, and it’s always dangerous.
- Impaired Driving: Nothing needs to be said about driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol. It’s dangerous, it’s deadly, it’s illegal, and everyone knows it.
- Fatigue: Fatigue is also a factor in many accidents. Drowsiness impairs both reaction times and decision-making abilities. Being fully alert is imperative every moment a driver is behind the wheel.
The CHP also wants to remind every Californian to buckle up for every trip. Make sure your brakes and wipers work flawlessly, your tires have plenty of tread and they’re properly inflated, and that your seat belts do not need to be replaced. If you are injured by a negligent driver, discuss your legal rights and options as quickly as possible with an experienced Fresno car accident lawyer.