Time and time again we see the people make the same mistakes after they have been in a car accident. After a car accident, the last thing you want to do is sit idly by, because the clock is ticking. You must contact a car accident attorney as soon as you are able. These are the 5 most common mistakes that we see everyday people make after they have been in a car accident:
- Not calling the police: A police report is an official report of what happened, and it can be a key piece of evidence if you need to file a personal injury claim. When talking about the collision with the police, never admit any fault.
- Not exchanging insurance information: Be sure you obtain the other driver’s name, address, phone number, license plate number, driver’s license number, insurance company name, policy number, and the make and model of the other vehicle. Without this information, you may not be able to file a personal injury claim.
- Not seeking medical treatment immediately: It is imperative to be examined by a doctor immediately after an accident. If you need to file a personal injury claim, you’ll have an official medical record of the injuries caused by the accident. If you don’t obtain immediate medical attention, it will damage your credibility if you must file a claim later.
- Talking with an insurance company: The other driver’s insurance company may push for a quick settlement or try to avoid paying you entirely. You have no obligation to make any statement or to speak to the insurance company at all. Do not accept any settlement the company offers before speaking to an experienced Fresno personal injury attorney.
- Not having immediate, trustworthy legal counsel: You have a short amount of time to file a claim – don’t wait. Put an experienced Fresno personal injury attorney on your case as quickly as possible. An attorney can see to it that the insurance company pays you right and treats you properly. If the insurance company simply refuses to pay you the full value of your claim, a good personal injury attorney can advocate aggressively on your behalf and take your case before a jury.
If you’ve been in a car accident, be sure to avoid these common mistakes. If you have any questions at all, feel free to give our car accident lawyers a call at 559-277-7300.